There are many advantages to donating your vehicle to St. Vincent de Paul:
- Prompt vehicle pick-up – within 24 hours if needed.
- Qualification for a possible tax benefit.
- Elimination of the hassle and expense of selling your vehicle. Donating is much easier than repairing, advertising, and selling your used vehicle.
- Savings of maintenance and insurance for a vehicle you no longer use.
- Satisfaction of knowing you are part of helping the men, women and families in your community who are in need.
Donating is easy. Just call us at 937.222.5555 Option 3 or complete our online donation form:
Donate Your Vehicle
Just give us a call, or refer to our frequently asked questions.
What can I donate?
We accept most cars, trucks, vans, fleet vehicles, trailers, boats, motorcycles and RV’s. If you have questions about what can be donated please contact the Vehicle Donation Program Coordinator at 222-5555 option 3.
Is my vehicle donation tax deductible?
Yes. The IRS classifies St. Vincent de Paul as a non-profit 501(c)3 charitable organization. All eligible donations are tax deductible.
My vehicle does not run. May I still donate it?
Yes. We accept most vehicles even if they do not run. The revenue we receive from the sale of all vehicles directly supports St. Vincent de Paul’s programs to assist the needy, so we ask that your donated vehicle be in saleable condition. The vehicle must be equipped with all components, complete drive train, doors, wheels, decks, interior, etc.
How is the value of my vehicle determined?
Changes to federal tax regulations have affected how you assign a value to your vehicle. There are three options, depending on your tax filing plans:
- If you do not itemize your deductions or if you do not plan to deduct your donated vehicle, no further action is necessary.
- If you plan to claim a tax deduction of $500 or less, you will need to determine the fair market value of the vehicle at the time of donation. The fair market value may be determined by referring to published used vehicle price guides or by seeking a valuation from another qualified source.
- Vehicle value sources include Kelley Blue Book or the NADA Book (National Automobile Dealer Association). These sources also are available at your public library. St. Vincent de Paul does not assign a value to vehicles. At the time of your donation, St. Vincent de Paul will provide you a receipt describing the make, model, VIN#, and mileage of your donated vehicle.
- If you plan to claim a tax deduction of more than $500, federal tax law limits your deduction to the sale price St. Vincent de Paul receives for the vehicle. St. Vincent de Paul will send you a letter within 30 days of the sale telling you the vehicle’s selling price. The letter will include your tax ID number (typically your social security number) and the vehicle identification number.
Federal tax law requires you to attach a copy of this statement to the tax return on which you claim a deduction for your donated vehicle. St. Vincent de Paul is also required to report this information directly to the IRS. In the event that you initially value your vehicle in excess of $500, but it sells for less than $500, you will then be responsible for determining the fair-market value of your vehicle, not to exceed $500, to use for your tax deduction.
To facilitate the process, upon donation of your vehicle, you’ll be asked to declare if you intend to value your vehicle at more or less than $500. You may wish to consult your tax advisor to help you determine your best course of action.
Do you need the title?
Yes. The title must be free of financial liens. It must be in the name of the donor(s). You will be required to sign the title out of your name, having it witnessed and notarized by a notary public, prior to donating the vehicle. You can replace your lost title with the DMV.
Assignment of Ownership:
Transferee’s printed name: St. Vincent de Paul
Transferee’s printed address: 124 W Apple St., Dayton, OH 45402
How do I schedule a vehicle for pick-up?
To schedule a pick-up, please fill out the form on this page or contact us at 937.222.5555.
How long does it take to have my vehicle picked up?
Vehicles are usually picked up within a few days of receiving your completed paperwork. However, we can pick your vehicle up within 24 hours if necessary.
©2019 St. Vincent de Paul Dayton. All rights reserved.